Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Tomato

Tomato:  the usually large rounded typically red or yellow pulpy berry of an herb (genus Lycopersicon) of the nightshade family native to South America

I am anxiously waiting for the snow to thaw and uncover my raised garden beds.  I am ready to add new black dirt and screened compost.  I want to get tomato plants in the ground and flourishing.  

There is few things better than summer tomatoes.  Bright red, juicy.  Thick slices.  You just cannot find them in the local grocery.  They have to be homegrown.  Vine ripened. 

We will be sure to plant some cherry tomatoes.  A treat to nibble on as we pass by the garden.  The kids inhale them almost as fast as they ripen.

Bring on the sunshine and melt the last of the snow.  Warm my dirt so I can get to growing these red orbs of yumminess!!!

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I liked tomatoes but I don't. I would LOVE to grow some strawberries, watermelon and zucchini though. Did you used to have a garden when you guys lived here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge huge fan of tomatoes. I love them! My favorite are the sweet organic heirloom tomatoes. They're good enough to eat plain, like an apple!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete