Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hero

Hero?  Who me? 

This week I was given an amazing award.  It is called the Hero Award.  In order to get the award a patient or their family member makes a charitable donation to the foundation - and writes a note of thank you to the person of their choice.
The award was given out on my day off.  When I got to work the next morning my coworkers were waiting for me.  They took me aside to give me an "update" on a meeting from the day before.  As they started reading about some of my coworkers receiving awards I suddenly heard my name.  I was stunned.  It was unbelievable to be honored for a job I love.  As they read the kind words from the patient who honored me, I was almost embarrassed.  The *frosting* on the cake was seeing how happy my coworkers for me.  I even saw tears of joy. 
Nursing is usually a job where your reward is self driven.  We do not look for recognition.  We just do what we do.  What an amazing, personal and wonderful award to have received!   I am not sure I should ever be defined as a *hero* but I am grateful that I was able to make a difference for someone I cared for.



No comments:

Post a Comment